Prof Dr Maria Beatrice Pozzetti
Office 5/229, 5th floor
Im Neuenheimer feld 205
Tel: +49-(0)6221-54 14050
I am head of an Emmy-Noether research group on Discrete subgroups of semisimple Lie groups beyond Anosov
With the project Rigidity, deformations and limits of maximal representations I am part of the DFG priority program SPP 2026 Geometry at infinity
With the projects A8: Symplectic geometry of representation and quiver varieties and B5: hyperbolicity in dynamics and geometry I am part of the DFG CRC/TRR 191: Symplectic structures in geometry, algebra and dynamics
I am PI of the RTG 2229: Asymptotic Invariants and Limits of Groups and Spaces
I am co-organizing Heidelberg's Differential geometry seminar
- Mitul Islam (Postdoc)
- Marta Magnani (PhD student)
- Colin Davalo (PhD student)
Former group members:
- Giulio Belletti (Postdoc)
- James Farre (Postdoc)
- Leon Carvajales (Postdoc)
- Gabriele Viaggi (Postdoc)
Research interests: Discrete subgroups of semisimple Lie groups, Anosov and maximal representations, (complex) hyperbolic geometry, (Higher rank) Teichmüller-Thurston Theory, geometric group theory, bounded cohomology
- (with M. Burger, A. Iozzi, A. Parreau) Positive crossratios, barycenters, trees and applications to maximal representations
Accepted in Groups, Geometry, and Dynamics. arXiv:2103.17161
- (with A. Sambarino, A. Wienhard) Anosov representations with Lipschitz limit set.
Accepted for publication Geometry & Topology arXiv:1910.06627
(with M.Bridgeman, A. Sambarino, A. Wienhard)
Hessian of Hausdorff dimension on purely imaginary directions.
Bull. Lond. Math. Soc. 54, 3 (2022) 1027-1050
(with B. Duchesne, J. Lecureux)
Boundary maps and maximal representations on infinite dimensional Hermitian symmetric spaces.
Ergod. Th. & Dynam. Sys., (2023), 43, 140-189
(with S. Maloni)
Geometric limits of cyclic subgroups of SO(1, k+1) and SU(1, k+1).
Algebraic & Geometric Topology 22 (2022) 1461-1495
(with M. Burger, A. Iozzi, A. Parreau)
Currents, Systoles, and Compactifications of Character Varieties.
Proc. London Math. Soc.(3) 123 (2021) 565-596
(with J. Beyrer)
A collar lemma for partially hyperconvex surface group representations.
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 374 (2021), 6927-6961
(with M. Burger, A. Iozzi,
The real spectrum compactification of character varieties: characterizations and applications.
Comptes Rendus. Mathematique, Tome 359 (2021) no. 4, pp. 439-463.
(with A. Sambarino, A. Wienhard)
Conformality for a robust class of non-conformal attractors.
Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik (Crelles Journal), vol. 2021, no. 774, 2021, pp. 1-51
- (with F. Fanoni)
Basmajian-type inequalities for maximal representations.
Journal of Differential Geometry, Vol. 116, No. 3 (2020), pp. 405-458.
- (with F. Franceschini, R. Frigerio, A. Sisto)
The zero norm subspace of bounded cohomology of acylindrically hyperbolic groups.
Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici 94-1 (2019), 89--139
(with M. Burger)
Maximal representations, non Archimedean Siegel spaces, and buildings.
Geometry & Topology 21-6 (2017), 3539--3599
Boundary maps and maximal representations of complex hyperbolic lattices into SU(m,n).
PhD Thesis, ETH Zurich
Maximal representations of complex hyperbolic lattices into SU(m, n).
Geom. Funct. Anal. 25 (2015), no. 4, 1290–1332 pdf
- (with R. Frigerio, A. Sisto)
Extending higher dimensional quasi-cocycles.
J. Topol. 8 (2015), no. 4, 1123–1155
(with M. Bucher, M. Burger, R. Frigerio, A. Iozzi, C. Pagliantini)
Isometric properties of relative bounded cohomology.
J. Topol. Anal. 6 (2014), no. 1, 1-25.
(with F. Lopez, S. Trettel, M. Strube, A. Wienhard)
Vector-valued Distance and Gyrocalculus on the Space of Symmetric Positive Definite Matrices.
In Proceedings of the Thirty-fifth Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2021) arXiv:2110.13475
(with F. Lopez, S. Trettel, M. Strube, A. Wienhard)
Symmetric Spaces for Graph Embeddings: A Finsler-Riemannian Approach.
In Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2021)
(with K. Tsouvalas)
On projective Anosov subgroups of symplectic groups
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:2305.05018
(with L. Carvajales, X. Dai, A. Wienhard)
Thurston's asymmetric metrics for Anosov representations
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:2210.05292
- (with M. Burger, A. Iozzi, A. Parreau) Weyl chamber length compactification of the PSL(2,R)xPSL(2,R) maximal character variety
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:2112.13624
- (with J. Beyrer) Positive surface group representations in PO(p,q)
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:2106.14725
- (with J. Beyrer) Degenerations of k-positive surface group representations
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:2106.05983
- (with O. Hamlet) Classification of tight homomorphisms
Preprint. Available online: arXiv:1412.6398
- Higher rank Teichmüller theories Exposé 1161 in the Séminaire N. Bourbaki (Mars 2019)
- Compactifications via affine buildings Notes for the Workshop on compactifications of moduli spaces of representations
- Maximal representations Notes for the Workshop on Sp(4,R)-Anosov representations
- Maximal representations of complex hyperbolic lattices Oberwolfach reports 30 (2015)
- Bounded cohomology and the simplicial volume of the product of two surfaces Master Thesis (2011)
I am co-organizer of
- the conference Homogeneous dynamics and geometry in higher rank Lie groups (IHES, June 19-23 2023) with M. Bridgeman, D. Canary, F. Kassel, H. Oh, J.F. Quint
- the conference Groups and Dynamics in Geometry (Ascona, May 28-June 2 2023) with H. Baik, M. Bestvina, S. Hensel, A. Iozzi, H. Masur and B. Petri
- the workshop Minimal surfaces in symmetric spaces and Labourie's conjecture (Autrans, August 22-August 26, 2022) with A. Seppi and J. Toulisse
- the conference Marc Burger's Prime (Zurich, June 27-July 1, 2022) with M. Bucher, A. Iozzi, N. Monod and A. Wienhard
- the Mini-Workshop Anosov^3 (Oberwolfach, December 5-11, 2021) with B. Küster, C. Guillarmou and T. Weich
- the conference Geometric Analysis meets Geometric Topology (Heidelberg, February 25-28, 2019) with E. Mäder-Baumdicker, V. Disarlo, F. Fanoni and F. Dittberner
- the conference Groups, spaces and geometries, in honor of Alessandra Iozzi (Zurich, January 22-25, 2019) with C. Burrin, T. Hartnick, E. Kowalski and A. Wienhard
- the GEAR Junior Retreat (Stanford, August 1-7, 2017) with S. Ballas, S. Kerckhoff, T. Yang and T. Zhang
- the conference Asymptotic Geometry of groups and spaces (Heidelberg, February 20-23, 2017) with D. Alessandrini, R. Sauer, P. Schwer and A. Wienhard.
Teaching in Heidelberg:
- Winter 2023/2024: Seminar: Hyperbolische Geometrie
- Sommer 2023: (Pro)Seminar: Konvexgeometrie
- Winter 2021/2022: Lecture: Einfürung in die Geometrie
- Winter 2021/2022: Lecture: Geometrische Gruppentheorie
- Sommer 2021: Seminar: Dynamics in one complex variable
- Winter 2020/2021: Lecture: Differential geometry 2 (Symmetric spaces)
- Winter 2020/2021: Working Seminar: Bridgeland's stability conditions for meromorphic differentials
- Sommer 2020: Lecture: Translation Surfaces
- Winter 2019/2020: Lecture: Geometrische Gruppentheorie
- Winter 2018/2019: Lecture: Differential geometry 2 (Symmetric spaces)
- Sommer 2018: Seminar: Groups acting on trees
- Sommer 2018: Bachelor-Master Seminar
- Winter 2017/2018: Lecture: Differential geometry 2 (Symmetric spaces)
- Sommer 2017: Seminar: The arithmetics of the hyperbolic plane
- Sommer 2017: Junior Geometry Seminar
- Sommer 2017: RTG lecture: Incidence structures on flag varieties and rigidity
- Sommer 2019: Lecture: V4D4 - Advanced Geometry II
- Sommer 2019: Seminar: S4D1 - Graduate Seminar on Differential Geometry
- Spring 2012 Running exercise classes for Linear Algebra 2
- Fall 2012 Running exercise classes for Complex analysis
- Fall 2013 Organizing Exercise classes for Algebra (Prof. Brent Doran)
- Spring 2014 Running exercise classes for Algebra 2
- Fall 2014 Organizing and running exercise classes for Algebraic Topology (Prof. Rahul Pandharipande)
- Fall 2014 Organizing the student seminar Geometric group theory 2 (with Alessandro Sisto)
- Colin Davalo (expected July 2024)
- Marta Magnani (expected July 2023)
- Mareike Pfeil Cataclysm for Anosov representations (September 2020) co supervised with A.Wienhard
4th year projects (Warwick):
- Cornelius Zenkert, Dimensionen fraktaler Schwämme, Methode der Konstruktion, Berechnung und Visualisierung (July 2022)
- Marcel Stoklasa, Limit sets for once punctured torus groups acting discretely on the Riemann sphere (April 2022) co supervised with G.Viaggi
- Erik Lewerenz, Apollonian circle packings (February 2022)
- Antonia Seifert, CAT(0) spaces and Gromov's condition (February 2022)
- Eric Ommert, Löwner-John ellipsoids (February 2022)
- Benedikt Pfahls, Universal Constants in 3-Dimensional Hyperbolic Manifolds (July 2021)
- Jannis Heising, Algorihtmic implementation of the solution to the word problem in Right-Angled Artin groups (March 2021)
- Noam von Rotberg, Reflection length in affine Coxeter groups (June 2020) co supervised with P. Schwer
- Ferdinand Vanmaele Coxeter groups, the Davis complex, and isolated
flats (February 2019)
- Lukas Bohsung, Über die hyperbolizität des Kurvengraphen (July 2018)
- Paul Colognese, Simple closed geodesics and Teichmuller spaces (June 2017)
- Ben Miller, Automorphism groups of Right-angled Artin Groups (June 2017) co supervised with K.Vogtmann